Emerging-manager fundraising slowed since the last roundup. Sixteen emerging managers raised $2.3 billion from April 10 through April 23, according to Buyouts data.
A venture firm outraised all other firms. Drive Capital raised $558 million across two funds. Its third flagship brought in $307 million while its first overdrive fund raised $250.8 million.
Private equity firm Shore Capital was also in the market with two funds, which together brought in more than $449 million. Its third healthcare fund raised more than $300 million while its first food-and-beverage fund raised $148 million.
Hill Path Capital, founded by ex-Apollo Global Management partner Scott Ross, raised $359.2 million for its sophomore fund.
Below is a rundown of the most significant emerging private equity and venture funds that Buyouts has identified as being in the market over the past few weeks:
Cynosure Group traces its roots back to the Eccles family of Utah. It makes long-term investments on behalf of families and foundations. Its third fund raised $10 million.
- Location: Salt Lake City
- Phone: +1 801-521-3100
- Filing: https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1771822/000119248219000197/xslFormDX01/primary_doc.xml
Hill Path Capital was founded by Scott Ross, ex-Apollo Global Management partner. It invests in both the private equity and public equity markets. Its sophomore fund raised more than $359 million.
- Location: New York
- Phone: +1 212-632-5420
- Filing: https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1756658/000156761919008798/xslFormDX01/primary_doc.xml
PetroCap is an oil and gas investment firm that partners with independent operators. Its third fund raised $300.3 million.
- Location: Dallas
- Phone: +1 214-871-7967
- Filing: https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1735786/000173578619000001/xslFormDX01/primary_doc.xml
Shore Capital Partners was in the market with two funds. Its third healthcare focused fund raised more than $300 million across two parallel vehicles while its debut food-and-beverage fund raised $148 million.
- Location: Chicago
- Phone: +1 312-348-7580
- Filings: https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1773008/000177300819000001/xslFormDX01/primary_doc.xml https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1773017/000177301719000001/xslFormDX01/primary_doc.xml
Thurston Group looks for opportunities within the healthcare industry. Its debut fund raised $19.5 million.
- Location: Chicago
- Phone: +1 312-255-0077
- Filing: https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1737037/000139372519000080/xslFormDX01/primary_doc.xml
Verod Capital Management looks for emerging opportunities within West Africa. Its third growth fund raised $20 million.
- Location: Port Louis, Mauritius
- Phone: +234 1-462-8646
- Filing: https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1773684/000177368419000001/xslFormDX01/primary_doc.xml
Armory Square Ventures is a seed and early-stage venture firm that invests in technology companies based in New York state as well as emerging cities across the Northeast. Its sophomore fund raised $10 million.
- Location: Syracuse, New York
- Phone: +1 315-221-9016
- Filing: https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1745901/000174590119000001/xslFormDX01/primary_doc.xml
Bay Capital Ventures provides early-stage venture capital managers with knowledge and experience. Its debut fund raised more than $44.8 million of a targeted $150 million.
- Location: Fort Worth, Texas
- Phone: +1 862-207-1021
- Filing: https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1755722/000156761919008796/xslFormDX01/primary_doc.xml
Cultivation Capital provides early-stage investments in life sciences and technology, and seed-stage investments in a broad range of tech companies active in St. Louis and the greater Midwest. Its debut seed fund raised over $5 million.
- Location: St. Louis
- Phone: +1 314-216-2051
- Filing: https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1734752/000173475219000001/xslFormDX01/primary_doc.xml
Defy makes early-stage investments to entrepreneurs in emerging high-potential opportunities. Its sophomore fund raised $262 million.
- Location: Woodside, California
- Phone: +1 650-530-0193
- Filing: https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1770827/000177082719000001/xslFormDX01/primary_doc.xml
Drive Capital invests in technology, healthcare and consumer companies in the Midwest. It raised more than $588 million through two funds: Its third flagship raised over $307 million and its debut overdrive fund raised over $250 million.
- Location: Columbus, Ohio
- Phone: +1 614-257-8243
- Filings: https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1773451/000177345119000001/xslFormDX01/primary_doc.xml https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1773458/000177345119000002/xslFormDX01/primary_doc.xml https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1773446/000177345119000003/xslFormDX01/primary_doc.xml https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1773441/000177345119000004/xslFormDX01/primary_doc.xml
Joe Montana’s Liquid 2 Ventures makes seed investments in technology startups. Its sophomore fund raised more than $37.6 million of a targeted $50 million.
- Location: Menlo Park, California
- Phone: +1 650-838-4434
- Filing: https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1719741/000171974119000001/xslFormDX01/primary_doc.xml
LiveOak Venture Partners makes institutional investments in IT and tech-enabled companies from Texas. Its sophomore fund raised $104.5 million.
- Location: Austin
- Phone: +1 512-498-4900
- Filing: https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1710418/000171041819000001/xslFormDX01/primary_doc.xml
M3 Ventures helps brands become inspiring and empowering. Its sophomore fund raised $23.5 million.
- Location: New York
- Phone: +1 646-478-7002
- Filing: https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1773614/000177361419000001/xslFormDX01/primary_doc.xml
MATH Venture Partners makes early-stage investments in digital technology companies with an unfair advantage in customer acquisition. Its sophomore fund raised over $44 million.
- Location: Chicago
- Phone: +1 312-404-4555
- Filing: https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1728377/000172837719000001/xslFormDX01/primary_doc.xml
North Base Media is a global firm that focuses on media, content and information technologies. Its sophomore fund raised $15 million of a targeted $75 million.
- Location: Republic Plaza, Singapore
- Email: email@example.com
- Filing: https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1772181/000177218119000001/xslFormDX01/primary_doc.xml