– Thomas Mawhinney, Dr. Andrew Firlik and Mark Mangiola have been named investment professionals with Canaan Partners. They have been brought on board to manage investments made out of the firm’s new $700 million fund, Canaan Equity III. Mawhinney is the former chief operating officer and founder of North Systems Inc., a supply-chain enterprise software company. Previously, Firlik was a practicing neurological surgeon and a venture associate at Canaan. Mangiola was most recently the chief executive of DSL company @Home Solutions.
– Dennis O’Connell has been promoted to a managing director at Dolphin Communications Partners, where he has been a venture partner since April. O’Connell is a former regional president with XO Communications Inc. and has held executive positions at both AT&T Wireless Services Inc. and McCaw Cellular.
– Jean-David Chamboredon has joined Paris-based Viventures Partners as principal. Viventures Partners invests in early-stage IT and telecom companies.
– J. Edmund Colloton has joined Bessemer Venture Partners as general partner and chief operating officer. Formerly chief operating officer of J.P. Morgan Chase & Co., Colloton replaces Robert H. Buescher, an administrative partner, who is retiring after a 34-year career at Bessemer.
– John O’Neill has been brought on board as a managing director at Dallas-based Chanin Capital Partners. O’Neill’s responsibilities will include providing restructuring advisory services to the firm’s private equity sponsors. Previously, O’Neill was a managing director of the financial sponsor portfolio group at Bank of America Corp.