Call it a fundraising frenzy. 22 emerging managers raised more than $9.4 billion from May 8 through May 22, according to Buyouts data.
BDT Capital was most responsible for the surge. The firm, founded by former Goldman Sachs banker Byron Trott, raised $6.3 billion for its third fund. The Chicago firm is reported to target $9 billion, according to the Financial Times.
Also in market with its third fund is Old Ironsides Energy. The Boston firm raised more than $843 million and will look to invest in the oil and gas sectors of the U.S. and Canada.
Butterfly Equity raised $429 million for its sophomore fund, which will focus on the food sector.
On the venture side, NFX raised the most. Its sophomore fund raised $275 million and will make seed-stage investments.
Below is a rundown of the most significant emerging private equity and venture funds that Buyouts has identified as being in the market over the past few weeks:
Acacia Partners invests only in family-owned and owner-operated companies. Its debut fund raised $40 million.
- Location: Austin
- Phone: +1 512-852-7458
- Filing: https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1776355/000101532519000013/xslFormDX01/primary_doc.xml
BDT Capital, founded by former Goldman Sachs banker Byron Trott, provides long-term capital to businesses. Its third fund raised $6.3 billion.
- Location: Chicago
- Phone: +1 312-660-7300
- Filing: https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1775506/000095015719000581/xslFormDX01/primary_doc.xml
BP Energy Partners invests growth capital across energy dependent industries within the natural gas value chain. Its sophomore fund raised $245 million.
- Location: Dallas
- Phone: +1 214-265-4665
- Filing: https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1728658/000172865819000002/xslFormDX01/primary_doc.xml
Butterfly Equity specializes in the food sector, specifically agriculture and aquaculture, food and beverage products, food distribution and food service. Its sophomore fund raised $429 million.
- Location: George Town, Cayman Islands
- Phone: +1 310-408-4904
- Filings: https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1704128/000170412819000001/xslFormDX01/primary_doc.xml https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1704146/000170414619000001/xslFormDX01/primary_doc.xml
Cloverlay is an independent asset manager that focuses on transactions outside the scope of traditional PE. It raised $53.7 million for its sophomore fund.
- Location: Conshohocken, Pennsylvania
- Phone: +1 484-262-5020
- Filings: https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1776348/000177634819000001/xslFormDX01/primary_doc.xml https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1776349/000177634919000001/xslFormDX01/primary_doc.xml
Ecotrust Forest Management invests in commercially, ecologically and culturally significant landscapes as well as rangeland and farmland. Its third fund raised $28 million.
- Location: Portland, Oregon
- Phone: +1 503-467-0829
- Filing: https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1739360/000091957419003259/xslFormDX01/primary_doc.xml
Granite State Capital Management employs long-term, value-oriented investments. Its sophomore fund raised more than $316 million.
- Location: Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
- Phone: +1 646-688-3231
- Filings: https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1737175/000091957419003171/xslFormDX01/primary_doc.xml https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1737150/000091957419003173/xslFormDX01/primary_doc.xml
Motive Partners invests in technology-enabled companies that power the financial services industry. Its debut fund raised $250 million.
- Location: New York
- Phone: +1 646-348-9500
- Filings: https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1706268/000170626819000001/xslFormDX01/primary_doc.xml https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1706309/000170626819000002/xslFormDX01/primary_doc.xml
NewRoad Capital Partners focuses on growth equity investments within retail, business services and healthcare technology. Its third fund raised over $54 million.
- Location: Rogers, Arkansas
- Phone: +1 479-657-2100
- Filing: https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1756431/000156761919010642/xslFormDX01/primary_doc.xml
Old Ironsides Energy acquires and develops assets in the upstream and midstream sectors of the oil and gas industry in the U.S. and Canada. Its third fund raised more than $843 million.
- Location: Boston
- Phone: +1 617-366-2030
- Filings: https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1716293/000171629319000002/xslFormDX01/primary_doc.xml https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1716295/000171629319000003/xslFormDX01/primary_doc.xml https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1721410/000171629319000001/xslFormDX01/primary_doc.xml
Varagon is a lender in the middle market. Its debut fund raised more than $150 million.
- Location: New York
- Phone: +1 212-235-2600
- Filing: https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1679463/000094366319000128/xslFormDX01/primary_doc.xml
Woodside Capital Partners focuses on acquisitions and financing in the commercial real estate and debt markets. Its sophomore special opportunity fund raised $57.9 million.
- Location: Fort Worth, Texas
- Phone: +1 214-495-1245
- Filing: https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1773609/000177360919000001/xslFormDX01/primary_doc.xml
ClearSky invests in companies providing technology and services to enterprise customers with a focus on the power sector. Its sophomore Power & Technology fund raised $145.8 million.
- Location: Juno Beach, Florida
- Phone: +1 561-304-5207
- Filing: https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1776039/000177603919000001/xslFormDX01/primary_doc.xml
Collider Ventures is an early-stage blockchain and crypto fund. Its debut fund raised more than $7.2 million of a targeted $50 million.
- Location: Tel Aviv
- Phone: +972 54 483-5975
- Filing: https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1773901/000121390019008368/xslFormDX01/primary_doc.xml
Ecosystem Integrity Fund focuses in companies contributing to environmental sustainability. Its third fund raised more than $95 million.
- Location: Lafayette, California
- Phone: +1 415-894-5486
- Filing: https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1697951/000169795119000002/xslFormDX01/primary_doc.xml
First Cressey Ventures focuses on accelerating the growth of high potential healthcare companies. Its sophomore fund raised over $62 million.
- Location: Nashville
- Phone: +1 615-933-6889
- Filing: https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1775783/000177578319000001/xslFormDX01/primary_doc.xml
FusionX Ventures invests in promising early-stage startups in technology, industrials and medical/life science. Its sophomore fund raised more than $9.6 million.
- Location: San Diego
- Phone: +1 858-798-9548
- Filing: https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1776566/000177656619000001/xslFormDX01/primary_doc.xml
Genoa Ventures invests in early-stage life sciences companies that deal with biology, technology and data science. Its debut fund raised $24 million.
- Location: San Francisco
- Phone: +1 415-558-0050
- Filing: https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1728265/000175643419000001/xslFormDX01/primary_doc.xml
KCRise Fund focuses on co-investments with institutional venture capital partners in companies based in the greater Kansas City area. Its sophomore fund raised $12 million of a targeted $30 million.
- Location: Kansas City, Missouri
- Phone: +1 816-305-1123
- Filing: https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1773859/000177385919000001/xslFormDX01/primary_doc.xml
NFX makes seed-stage investments to founders looking to build market-transforming companies. Its sophomore fund raised $275 million.
- Location: San Francisco
- Phone: +1 415-621-9670
- Filing: https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1774210/000177421019000002/xslFormDX01/primary_doc.xml
Stage 1 Financial focuses on consumer opportunities. Its debut fund raised $2 million of a targeted $25 million.
- Location: Anaheim, California
- Phone: +1 855-222-1229
- Filing: https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1764332/000176433219000001/xslFormDX01/primary_doc.xml
VamosVentures has a mission to empower diverse communities by investing in tech-driven solutions to challenges persistent in our communities. Its debut fund raised more than $6.5 million.
- Location: Pasadena, California
- Phone: +1 213-304-2211
- Filing: https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1776031/000177603119000001/xslFormDX01/primary_doc.xml